Kalmadi escaped IOC action by suspending himself
New Delhi: A scam-tainted Suresh Kalmadi escaped the International Olympic Committee`s wrath by deciding to `suspend` himself as IOA President, according to a top IOA official.
IOC did not impose any sanctions on Kalmadi despite making regular enquiries about what action the IOA planned to take against the disgraced administrator who was released on bail some weeks ago.
The decision was prompted by a letter that IOA acting-President Vijay Kumar Malhotra sent to IOC in which it was made clear to the world body that Kalmadi had suspended himself from the job to focus on his legal cases and the role of being a sitting MP from Pune.
The official said the letter was sent after an IOA meeting during which the body accepted Kalmadi`s "prolonged absence" from office. It then "requested Malhotra to continue as acting President for the remaining period with full powers as mentioned in the Constitution of the Indian Olympic Association."
The IOC executive board discussed the situation yesterday and its vice president Thomas Bach said there was no need for action since Kalmadi has effectively suspended himself and "in the end he`s not in charge."
Bach said "the result is the same" so there is no need to impose sanctions against him or the IOA.
The International body had written many letters asking the status of the disgraced administrators, who is fighting corruption allegations in the organisation of the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt