Kalmadi re-elected as Asian Athletics Association president
New Delhi: Indian Olympic Association chief
Suresh Kalmadi was today re-elected unopposed as the president
of Asian Athletic Association (AAA) in Guangzhou, China, to
serve his third consecutive term at the office.
Kalmadi was elected for another four-year term (2009-13)
at the 18th General Body Meeting of the AAA, a day ahead of
the 18th Asian Athletics Championships (November 10-14) to be
held in the Chinese city.
Kalmadi was first elected in 2000 in Jakarta and since
then he has introduced many development projects in Asian
athletics including Asian All Star meet, Asian Indoor
Championship and Asian Grand Prix series, a release from the
Maurice Nicholas of Singapore was also re-elected as
Secretary/Treasurer of the Association.
The AAA AGM was attended by International Amateur
Athletics Federation (IAAF) Lamine Diack and representatives
of 45 countries.
Diack appreciated the efforts made by Asia by hosting
global events, particularly India`s efforts of organising
World Half Marathon in New Delhi in 2004 in a splendid manner,
the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town