Kalmadi re-elected as Asian Athletics Association president
New Delhi: Indian Olympic Association chief
Suresh Kalmadi was today re-elected unopposed as the president
of Asian Athletic Association (AAA) in Guangzhou, China, to
serve his third consecutive term at the office.
Kalmadi was elected for another four-year term (2009-13)
at the 18th General Body Meeting of the AAA, a day ahead of
the 18th Asian Athletics Championships (November 10-14) to be
held in the Chinese city.
Kalmadi was first elected in 2000 in Jakarta and since
then he has introduced many development projects in Asian
athletics including Asian All Star meet, Asian Indoor
Championship and Asian Grand Prix series, a release from the
Maurice Nicholas of Singapore was also re-elected as
Secretary/Treasurer of the Association.
The AAA AGM was attended by International Amateur
Athletics Federation (IAAF) Lamine Diack and representatives
of 45 countries.
Diack appreciated the efforts made by Asia by hosting
global events, particularly India`s efforts of organising
World Half Marathon in New Delhi in 2004 in a splendid manner,
the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?