Kamlesh, Randhawa praise new IOA top bosses
New Delhi: Former table tennis star Kamlesh Mehta has urged the International Olympic Committee to accept the results of Indian Olympic Association elections scheduled for Wednesday as they are being under the supervision of former High Court judges.
"I strongly feel that the IOC should accept the election results which were conducted under the watchful eyes of the eminent legal and unbiased personalities and as per the rules and in all fairness. Further, it is the verdict of the majority which needs to be respected," Mehta said in a statement.
"I congratulate the election of Abhey Singh Chautala as IOA President. As president of Boxing Federation of India, Chautala has played a very positive role in popularising and improving the level of boxing to a new height. He was also the Chef de Mission of Indian contingent at 2010 Asian Games at Guangzhou in which he took good care of the players," said Mehta who had represented India in two Olympics.
Former hurdler and long-time national holder Gurbachan Singh Randhawa praised IOA Secretary General-elect Lalit Bhanot for his role in taking Indian athletics forward while serving as Secretary of Athletics Federation of India.
"Bhanot has done a great job as Secretary of AFI. The recent successes of Indian track and field athletes in the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games and commendable performance in London Olympics were due to his efforts," Randhawa, who is currently the chief selector of the AFI, said.
"He is a very good administrator and organisers and knows Indian sports thoroughly. So, instead of giving any subjective view in him, people should see the results he has brought. He perfectly fits in the role of IOA Secretary General," said Randhawa who finished fifth in 110m hurdles in 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note