Karnam Malleswari resigns from IWF
New Delhi: Sydney Olympics bronze medallist Karnam Malleswari has reportedly resigned as the vice-president of Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF).
According to reports, Malleswari was upset with the way the IWF was working and felt that the federation was being run by people who do not know anything about the sport.
However, when contacted IWF secretary Sahdev Yadav, he said they have not yet received the resignation letter from Malleswari.
"I don`t know. We have come to know about it only through media," said Yadav.
Malleswari, country`s first woman to win an Olympic medal, also complained of politics in IWF and felt that the performance of the lifters has gone down considerably under the current regime.
Asked about Malleswari`s claims, Yadav said, "If performance has gone done it is because of strict disciplinary actions taken by the federation in the wake of growing doping cases. Performance will improve within a year."
Yadav in turn said the federation had offered the job of coach to Malleswari but she rejected it and even skipped at least five meetings of the selection committee, of which she is a member.
Malleswari, a few months back, had accused coach Ramesh Malhotra of sexually harassing lifters under his charge.
However, a committee set up to look into the claims, did not frame any charge against Malhotra. The lifters in question had given in writing to the federation that they were not harassed by Malhotra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP