Karnataka, Delhi post spirited wins in IHF Federation Cup
New Delhi: Both Karnataka and Delhi came from two-goal deficit to overcome Tamil Nadu and
Mumbai in their respective league matches of the IHF Federation Cup, here today.
While Karnataka beat Tamil Nadu 4-3, Delhi pipped Mumbai 4-2, at the Shivaji Stadium here.
In the other matches, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh registered comfortable victories against Manipur and Haryana, respectively.
Tamil Nadu took an early lead with Vinod Rayer striking in the third minute of the game. Adam Sinclair doubled the lead in the 16th minute.
But Karnataka came back strongly and scored four goals through Cariappa AD, Changappa PS and two by skipper Deepak Beijawad to take 4-2 lead.
A second goal from Vinod Rayer in the 65th minute wasn`t enough for Tamil Nadu to save the day as they lost their first game of the tournament.
Meanwhile, Ashok Kumar`s two goals helped Delhi beat Mumbai 4-2 in their group match.
Mumbai took the lead in the 29th minute with a goal from Osafa Ur Rehman and their lead was doubled in the 47th minute with a goal from Vikas Topo.
However, Delhi made a quick comeback as Rajbir Yadav and Ravi scored two goals.
Punjab routed Manipur 22-1 to hand them another huge defeat in two days.
Parvinder Singh made the most of the lacklustre Manipuri side and netted eight goals. Rajin
Khandulna netted five, while Gurdeep Singh scored four.
O Boniyam hit the lone goal for Manipur.
Uttar Pradesh had an easy outing against Haryana as they won the match 5-2.
UP were leading 3-0 at halftime with goals from Pramod Kumar, Sunny Sonkar and Sarabjit Singh. Farooqh and Pratiner Singh added a goal each in the second half.
For Haryana, Samsher and Pravesh found the net.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath