Kashyap, Sindhu reach quarters of Nationals
New Delhi: London Olympics quarter-finalist Parupalli Kashyap and defending champion P V Sindhu reached the last-eight stage of the 77th Senior National badminton Championship after posting contrasting wins in the men`s and women`s singles competition here on Monday.
World number 20 Kashyap remained on course for his maiden National title following his comfortable 21-9 21-11 victory over Suraj R N, while Sindhu, who had stunned London Olympic champion Li Xuerui in the China Masters last month, won after her opponent, 12th seed Saili Rane, retired midway at 21-7 6-3 in the pre-quarterfinals at the Sher-e-Kashmir Indoor Stadium.
Young prodigy Shreyansh Jaiswal from Chattisgarh, who had stunned the defending champion in the second round yesterday, continued his good run and notched up a 21-11 21-17 win over Love Kumar of Punjab.
World number 25 Ajay Jayaram survived a scare from 11th seed Pratul Joshi before seeing him off 21-23, 21-14 21-15 in a 50 minute match, while 14th seed RMV Gurusaidutt had an easy outing against unheralded Subhankar Dey, winning it 21-12 21-4.
Sixth seed Nanda Gopal K of Airport Authority of India beat two-time champion and 16th seed Arvind Bhat 23-21 21-19, while Madhya Pradesh`s Abhimanyu Singh stunned third seed Mohit Kamat 19-21 21-13 21-9 in 56 minutes.
Second seed Sai Praneeth B also kept his hopes alive after prevailing over Velavan V 21-17 21-13, while two-time former champion Anup Sridhar lost 15-21 15-21 to eight seed Srikanth K.
In the women`s singles, top seed Neha Pandit survived a tough test against 16th seed Arathi Sara Sunil of Kerela before prevailing 16-21 21-14 21-14, while National Games champion Arundhati Pantawane also reached the quarterfinals following a 21-11 21-8 victory over Sheshadri Sanyal of West Bengal in 26 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened