Kashyap, Sindhu to clash for maiden National title
Srinagar: London Olympics quarter-finalist Parupalli Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram set up the men`s singles title clash between them after scoring contrasting wins in their respective semifinals at the 77th Senior National Badminton Championship, here today.
World number 20 Kashyap, who was the runners up at the 2010 edition, spanked K Srikanth 21-5 21-8 in a completely lopsided semifinal, while Jayaram tamed sixth seed Nanda Gopal K 21-14 21-15 in the other semifinal.
Neither Kashyap nor Jairam has won a national title before and whoever wins tomorrow will celebrate his maiden trophy.
Kashyap hardly broke a sweat against Srikanth as he outplayed his rival. In the first game he created a 11-3 lead and in the second he opened up a 16-7 lead, not allowing his young rival to put up any challenge.
World number 25 Jayaram led 13-5 and 10-2 in his staright game win.
In the women`s singles, defending champion P V Sindhu came from behind to beat Arundhati Pantawane 8-21 21-18 21-13, keeping her hopes of retaining the title alive .
The 2008 champion and second seed Sayali Gokhale prevailed over Tanvi Lad 21-17 9-21 21-11 to set up the final clash with Sindhu.
National Games champion Arundhati, who had beaten Sindhu at the 75th Nationals championship at Rohtak in January last year, troubled the current world number 20 in the first game and easily pocketed it at 21-8.
Sindhu, who was playing with a knee brace, recovered in the second game and went into the break at 11-6. After the breather, Sindhu zoomed to the game point at 20-13.
Gutsy Arundhati saved five match points but could not stop the 17-year-old from Andra Pradesh as she bounced back in the match.
In the decider, Sindhu once again had her nose ahead at 11-8. Arundhati did equalise after gathering three straight points but Sindhu proved too strong for her in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof