Kashyap wins, Sindhu loses in China Open
New Delhi: Young shuttler P V Sindhu lost a gallant fight in her opening round but London Olympics quarterfinalist Parupalli Kashyap kept India`s tricolour fluttering with a straight-game win to reach the second round of the China Open in Shanghai on Wednesday.
Commonwealth bronze medallist Kashyap, who had taken a month-long break after winning the Senior Nationals Championship in Srinagar, was the only bright spot for India in men`s singles as all other Indians bowed out of the tournament after losing their opening contest.
World number 23 Kashyap notched up a 21-15, 21-15 victory over Sweden`s Henri Hurskainen in a 37-minute contest.
Indian men`s doubles pair of Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu also notched up an easy 21-2, 21-4 win over Mongolia`s Erdenebayar Enkhbold and Zolzaya Munkhbaatar to reach the second round in an otherwise dismal day.
In women`s singles, returning to action after over a month due to a knee problem, Sindhu fought fiercely against world number 14 Eriko Hirose before going down 20-22, 21-14, 19-21 to the Japanese in an hour and six minutes match.
Among other Indians, Ajay Jayaram suffered a 18-21, 21-16, 14-21 loss to Malaysia`s Daren Liew, while RMV Gurusaidutt also went down fighting to Takuma Ueda 21-11, 13-21, 11-21 in men`s singles contests.
Indonesian pair of Alvent Yulianto Chandra and Markis Kido put paid to the hopes of India`s men`s doubles combo of Manu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy B 21-17, 13-21, 21-11 in a 34-minute competition, while mixed doubles combo of Akshay Dewalkar and Pradnya Gadre also became a first round casualty after losing to top seeds Chen Xu and Jin Ma of China 5-21, 17-21.
Similarly, Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan also could not cross the first hurdle and lost to Denmark`s Mads Pieler Kolding and Kamilla Rytter Juhl 9-21, 19-21 in another mixed doubles match.
Another men`s doubles combo of Pranaav Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar also bowed out after their gallant fight ended in a 25-27, 17-21 loss to Chinese pair of Xiaolong Liu and Zihan Qiu in a 52-minute match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes