Kavita, Kajal and national champion Rashmi enter quarters
Mumbai: India no. 4 Kavita Somanchi of Reserve Bank prevailed over Geeta Devi of BSNL in a straight games encounter 25-10 25-10 to enter the women`s singles quarterfinals in the All India Public Sector Carrom Tournament here Thursday.
In another pre-quarter final match Kajal Kumari of Indian Oil overcame stiff challenge from Life Insurance Corporation of India`s Shilpa Palnitkar, the Maharashtra state champion, 11-25 25-0 25-12.
Earlier Shilpa had shocked former World Champion S Illavazhaki of ONGC 0-25 25-11 25-16 in a thrilling three-game second round encounter.
In another close three-game encounter, Khushbu Kumari of Indian Oil prevailed over her teammate Madhuri Tayshetye 25-1 14-25 25-19 to advance into the quarter finals.
In another match former world champion S Apoorva of LIC easily prevailed over Bunti Laishram of BSNL 25-4, 25-11 to advance further.
Current national and world champion Rashmi Kumari also made the grade comfortably.
In the men`s team championship, Zone-1 winners Indian Oil will play against Reserve Bank of India who finished second in Zone -2 with six points. Zone-2 winners Air India `B` will clash with Air India `A` who finished second in the Zone-2 with six points.
The tournament is being organised by Air India and Maharashtra Carrom Association under the auspices of All India Public Sector Sports Promotion Board at AI Sports Club in Kalina.
Women`s singles (pre quarter finals): Kavita Somanchi (RBI) bt Geeta Devi (BSNL) 25-10 25-10; Deepika Sinha (LIC) bt R Vinita (ONGC) 25-11 25-0; World & National Champion Rashmi Kumari (ONGC) bt Lalita (LIC) 25-0, 25-5; Sneha More (IOC) bt Manjiri Vaidhya (MTNL) 25-5 25-4; Khushbu Kumari (IOC) bt Madhuri Tayshetye (IOC) 25-1 14-25 25-19; Parimala Devi (IOC) bt Medha Matkari (LIC) 7-25 25-4 25-7; S Apoorva (LIC) bt Bunti Laisram (BSNL) 25-4 25-11; Kajal Kumari (IOC) bt Shilpa Palnitkar (LIC) 11-25, 25-9, 25-12.
Men`s team championship Zone -1: Indian Oil Corporation 8 points, Air India `B` 6 points
Zone - 2: 1. Air India `A` 8 points, Reserve Bank of India 6 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani