Kavita, Sudha to face off in Vasai-Virar Marathon
Mumbai: Medal winners at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth and Guangzhou Asian Games, second ranked 10,000m runner Kavita Raut and top woman steeplechaser Sudha Singh, are to face off for honours in the second Vasai-Virar Marathon here on October 14.
Kavita (27), who created history in Delhi CWG by becoming the first Indian track athlete to win a medal after `Flying Sikh` Milka Singh in 1958 when she took the bronze in the 10K event, and 26-year-old Guangzhou Asiad 3000m SC gold medal winner Sudha are to compete in the half marathon.
Also in the fray for the top prize of Rs 1 lakh, are last year`s winner Kiran Tiwari and Lalita Babar, nationally ranked third in 10K behind Preeja Sreedharan and Kavita, and fifth ranked Vijayamala Patil, it was announced at a media conference today.
The men`s full marathon has attracted country`s top ranked Lyngkhoi Bining, the top finisher among the Indian racers in the Mumbai Marathon a couple of years ago, numero uno steeplechaser Elam Singh, fourth ranked Avrind Kumar Yadav and seventh ranked Shivdan Barla Singh.
The winner of the race will take home Rs 2 lakh while the runner-up and third place finisher will receive Rs 1.1 lakh and Rs 60,000 respectively, it was announced.
A total of 79 elite athletes are expected for the event, which include 13 for the full marathon for men. There are half marathons for men and women, besides races in other categories and the overall prize fund is Rs 17.5 lakh.
Last year`s winner S Deep Chand has retired while Ram Singh Yadav, nationally ranked third and India`s lone marathon runner in this year`s London Olympics, has not entered.
Runners from Army, CRPF, Army Sports Institute (Pune), UP Police and from Maharashtra have sent their entries.
Since this is a recognised event of the Athletics Federation of India, AFI-appointed Suman Vaikar will be the race officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!