Kazan to host 2014 European Badminton Championships
Moscow: Russian city Kazan is to host the 2014 European Badminton Championships.
An agreement was signed on Monday by the head of the sport`s federation in Russia and Badminton Europe.
Kazan city had been lobbying to stage the event as part of the legacy program for this year`s Summer University Games.
Success finally came Monday when Andrei Antropov and Danish great Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen, who was re-elected to the post of Badminton Europe chief, inked a deal.
"We`ve been entrusted with the most prestigious European competition," Antropov said in comments to the federation`s website.
"The city (of Kazan) was chosen after colleagues from BE inspected the facilities for the Universiade and discovered the fast pace of badminton development in the Tatarstan capital," he added.
Russia successfully hosted the 2013 European Mixed Team Badminton Championships at the national headquarters in Ramenskoye, outside Moscow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes