Kenya`s favourite for London Marathon bows out
Nairobi: Lucy Kabuu, one of Kenya`s favourites for the women`s race at the April 21 London Marathon, has pulled out of the World Marathon Majors event.
Spouse Josephat Maina confirmed on Tuesday that Kabuu, whose last outing was a career best 66 minutes 9 seconds victory at the Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) Half Marathon in the UAE, had not recovered sufficiently from the excursions of her victory to compete at the World Marathon Majors event.
"We are disappointed she will not be running in London. After running at RAK, her body has not been responding well in training and this led to the decision not to compete in London," Maina said.
"We hope she will have recovered enough to run in other Marathon Major races later in the year," Maina said of the national women`s marathon record holder with 2:19:34 achieved with her second finish at last year`s Dubai Marathon.
Kabuu is the second biggest withdrawal from the elite race following that of Ethiopian Olympic champion Tirunesh Dibaba, who pulled out due to an injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'