Kenya`s favourite for London Marathon bows out
Nairobi: Lucy Kabuu, one of Kenya`s favourites for the women`s race at the April 21 London Marathon, has pulled out of the World Marathon Majors event.
Spouse Josephat Maina confirmed on Tuesday that Kabuu, whose last outing was a career best 66 minutes 9 seconds victory at the Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) Half Marathon in the UAE, had not recovered sufficiently from the excursions of her victory to compete at the World Marathon Majors event.
"We are disappointed she will not be running in London. After running at RAK, her body has not been responding well in training and this led to the decision not to compete in London," Maina said.
"We hope she will have recovered enough to run in other Marathon Major races later in the year," Maina said of the national women`s marathon record holder with 2:19:34 achieved with her second finish at last year`s Dubai Marathon.
Kabuu is the second biggest withdrawal from the elite race following that of Ethiopian Olympic champion Tirunesh Dibaba, who pulled out due to an injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!