Kenya`s favourite for London Marathon bows out
Nairobi: Lucy Kabuu, one of Kenya`s favourites for the women`s race at the April 21 London Marathon, has pulled out of the World Marathon Majors event.
Spouse Josephat Maina confirmed on Tuesday that Kabuu, whose last outing was a career best 66 minutes 9 seconds victory at the Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) Half Marathon in the UAE, had not recovered sufficiently from the excursions of her victory to compete at the World Marathon Majors event.
"We are disappointed she will not be running in London. After running at RAK, her body has not been responding well in training and this led to the decision not to compete in London," Maina said.
"We hope she will have recovered enough to run in other Marathon Major races later in the year," Maina said of the national women`s marathon record holder with 2:19:34 achieved with her second finish at last year`s Dubai Marathon.
Kabuu is the second biggest withdrawal from the elite race following that of Ethiopian Olympic champion Tirunesh Dibaba, who pulled out due to an injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!