Kenya`s Kiplagat eyes World Championships gold
Nairobi: Kenya failed to win the men`s 1,500 metres gold medal at the London Games, but 2011 World Championships runner-up Silas Kiplagat is ready to make amends at the Moscow Worlds next month.
Kiplagat only finished fourth at London.
"It was disappointing for me and everyone, but I tried my best. I promise Moscow will be different from London. I want to win a gold," said Kiplagat.
Kiplagat won the Kenya trials here a fortnight ago and said Kenyans will have nothing to worry about as they have agreed to work as a team together with world champion Asbel Kiprop, Bethwell Birgen and Nixon Chepseba.
Kiprop has already confirmed his strength in men`s 400m as the Beijing Olympic champion set a world fourth fastest time ever of the distance in 3:27.72 Friday in Monaco.
"Running against Kiprop is always a challenge. But we have come to know how to respect each other. I beat him and he also beats me. So in Moscow, we will see how the qualification will be and then when we meet in the finals, I hope I can win," said Kiplagat.
Kiprop however, will not be sleeping on his laurels to wait his opponent to play catch up.
"I`m also very excited about my race this season, especially my time in Monaco. My priority now is Moscow and I want to give it my best there," Kiprop posted on his Facebook account.
After the withdrawal of Algeria`s Olympic 1500m champion Taoufik Makhloufi, Kenya`s 1,500m team of Kiprop, Kiplagat, Chepseba and Birgen is hopeful of making a sweep of the top four slots.
"We are a strong team. We only need to maintain our focus during the training and competition. We shall execute our plan together," said Kiplagat.
The 14th IAAF World Championships will run from Aug 10 to 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015