Kenyans dominate Vancouver Marathon
Vancouver: Kenyan runners made a clean sweep of the Vancouver Marathon as Thomas Omwenga won the men`s title for the fourth time while Lucy Njeri took the women`s race.
With sunny conditions and the temperature hovering around 17 degrees Celsius Sunday, Paul Kimugul added to the Kenyan dominance in capturing the half marathon in a record time of one hour four minutes and 18 seconds, shaving 30 seconds off the previous best posted by countryman Kip Kangogo last year. Vancouver`s Natasha Fraser took the women`s half marathon in 1:15:19.
The 33-year-old Omwenga (2:24:08) broke free from fellow Kenyan Benard Onsare (2:24:10) two kilometres from finish and sprinted home to claim the $3,474 first prize. Defending champion Gezahgn Eshetu of Ethiopia finished a distant third in 2:25:23.
Omwenga, winner of the Vancouver Marathon in 2007, 2008 and 2010, credited his training partner Onsare for pushing him to victory.
Canada`s largest marathon through the streets of Vancouver and attracts around 16,000 participants, including 4,965 runners for the 42.1-kilometre main race.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor