Kerala to face Bengal in women`s volleyball final
Ranchi: National champions Kerala defeated Karnataka 25-15, 25-20, 25-8 to set up a summit clash against Bengal in the women`s volleyball competition of the 34th National Games here on Wednesday.
With six national players in their ranks, Kerala faced resistance only in the second set of the semifinal match when Karnataka rallied from 4-12 to 12-12.
Kerala closed out the set with five straight points as national player Terin Antony smashed two scorching points at Khelgaon.
Besides Antony, Kerala have Tiji Raju, Minimol Abraham, Ashwini S Kumar, P J Jomol and V Soumya, who were in the team when they won the National Volleyball Championship last year.
"I am satisfied with my team`s performance. They played very well and I hope they will keep it up during tomorrow`s final," Kerala chief coach K Ashok said after the match.
For Karnataka, Mallika Shetty, H N Hemalata and captain J Nishya scored points at crucial stages.
In the second semifinal, Bengal defeated Andhra Pradesh 25-15, 25-21 and 26-24.
After comfortably winning the first set, Bengal girls faced a resurgent Andhra giving them a tough fight before the winners overcame the resistance to bag the second set 25-21.
The third set went to the wire with the Andhra girls twice leading at 18-17 and 19-17 before surrendering at 24-26.
For Bengal C S Ramya, Jhillilata Sena and Meenakshi Ghosh excelled while AP`s M Mahalakshmi and J Maheswari played well, particularly coming up with better shots and smashes in the final set.
The final will be played on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- S&P keeps UK on triple-A rating, says expects no Brexit
- Google Translate turns 10: Five interesting things you want to know about it
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy
- Man wanted in 14 cases arrested after gun-battle in Odisha, 2 injured