Kerala to face Bengal in women`s volleyball final
Ranchi: National champions Kerala defeated Karnataka 25-15, 25-20, 25-8 to set up a summit clash against Bengal in the women`s volleyball competition of the 34th National Games here on Wednesday.
With six national players in their ranks, Kerala faced resistance only in the second set of the semifinal match when Karnataka rallied from 4-12 to 12-12.
Kerala closed out the set with five straight points as national player Terin Antony smashed two scorching points at Khelgaon.
Besides Antony, Kerala have Tiji Raju, Minimol Abraham, Ashwini S Kumar, P J Jomol and V Soumya, who were in the team when they won the National Volleyball Championship last year.
"I am satisfied with my team`s performance. They played very well and I hope they will keep it up during tomorrow`s final," Kerala chief coach K Ashok said after the match.
For Karnataka, Mallika Shetty, H N Hemalata and captain J Nishya scored points at crucial stages.
In the second semifinal, Bengal defeated Andhra Pradesh 25-15, 25-21 and 26-24.
After comfortably winning the first set, Bengal girls faced a resurgent Andhra giving them a tough fight before the winners overcame the resistance to bag the second set 25-21.
The third set went to the wire with the Andhra girls twice leading at 18-17 and 19-17 before surrendering at 24-26.
For Bengal C S Ramya, Jhillilata Sena and Meenakshi Ghosh excelled while AP`s M Mahalakshmi and J Maheswari played well, particularly coming up with better shots and smashes in the final set.
The final will be played on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'