Khade wins gold, Sejwal posts third national record
Tokyo: Virdhawal Khade won the 100m
freestyle event to bag his third gold medal of the meet while
compatriot Sandeep Sejwal created his third national record in
as many races at the Asian Age group swimming competition here
Khade clocked 49.66sec to better the previous Meet record
The teenager, who is competing in the 18 and above
category, also has a silver medal from the 50m butterfly
Also striking gold was Gagan AP, who bettered the
national record in 1500m freestyle event with a timing of
Sejwal scripted a new national record in the 200m
breaststroke en route to the bronze medal with a timing of
2min 12.02secs. The 20-year-old has re-written national
records in all his three events.
Despite not winning the gold in today`s event, Sejwal`s
timing will push him further up in the world rankings, and he
is more than a second faster than the time he clocked at the
FINA World Championships in Rome recently.
The men`s team consisting of Rehan Poncha, Sejwal, Khade
and J Agnishwar also won a sliver medal in the 400m medley
relay with a timing of 3min 50.05secs.
Rehan Poncha also set up a new national record when he
finished fourth in the men`s Group A in 400m individual
medley, clocking 4min 29.89secs.
Richa Mishra (5 min 05.72secs) and Fariha Zaman
(31.33secs) won bronze medals in women Group A in 400m
individual medley and 50m backstroke events respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees