Kiwi sailing team gets `rap on knuckles` for giving `joyride` to Tom Cruise, son
Wellington: The New Zealand sailing team has reportedly been warned by America`s Cup authorities for taking Hollywood star Tom Cruise and his son Connor for a blast on their boat while the race course was still under their jurisdiction.
Team New Zealand scored a publicity coup for themselves with massive media attention on the Cruises` joyride which included both guests working the winches and taking the helm at speeds of more than 40 knots on San Francisco Bay.
However, the team received the warning given the strict safety measures following the May 9 capsize of challenger Artemis Racing and the death of crew-member Andrew Simpson, which also include forbidding guests on board the boats on the race course.
Although Cruise and his son boarded Team New Zealand`s massive AC72 after the race, the report said that the course was still being managed by the race committee.
However, the report mentioned that carrying guests while racing has been a lucrative business in previous cups for syndicates, who have often charged for the pleasure or have used it as an opportunity to reward sponsors.
Reinforcing the rules put in place in agreement with the United States Coast Guard who issue the event permit, regatta director Iain Murray stated that competitors must adhere at all times to the safety recommendations while the USCG Special Local Regulation (SLR) is in operation, whether for racing or for training within the SLR area.
Murray further stated that guest racers cannot be carried at any time aboard an AC72 yacht within the course area when the SLR is in effect, although he added that they can be carried as soon as the SLR is lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre