Klitschko injured in Ukraine clashes over making Russian official language
Kiev: Boxing world champion Vitali Klitschko has been injured in violent clashes with police after the Ukraine Government voted to make Russian rather than Ukrainian the official language.
According to The Daily Mail, the Ukrainian prizefighter-turned-politician had to be treated after he was sprayed in the eyes with teargas and suffered a wound in his left arm during the unrest.
Klitschko was among rioters angry at the Ukranian Government`s decision to make Russian, rather than Ukrainian the main language in schools and local government in some parts of the former Soviet republic.
Klitschko has founded his own opposition party, Udar (meaning Blow), and took part in the protest.
"There are millions of us and they cannot pretend that nothing has happened," he said.
Police fired teargas and used batons to disperse hundreds of protesters in Kiev.
The clashes occurred after protestors, led by opposition defended the role of Ukrainian as the official language, gathered in front of a building where President Viktor Yanukovich was due to hold a press conference.
Opposition parties and millions who speak Ukrainian as their first language see the bill as a threat to sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar