Klitschko knocks out Pianeta, defends titles
Mannheim (Germany): Wladimir Klitschko retained his four heavyweight titles by winning a voluntary defence bout against Italian challenger Francesco Pianeta with a sixth-round knockout here.
Klitschko’s record improved to 60-3 Saturday with all but eight of those wins by knockout while Pianeta suffered his first defeat in 29 fights.
The Ukrainian ‘super’ champion now has to fight WBA ‘regular’ champion, Russian heavyweight Alexander Povetkin, in order to leave just a single WBA belt-holder.
Povetkin has a voluntary title defence bout against Poland’s Andrzej Wawrzyk May 17 at Moscow’s Crocus City Hall. The Russian boxer is most likely to win the fight against his outclassed challenger, experts believe.
Povetkin has won all of his 25 professional fights, with 17 knockout wins.
According to WBA rules, the Klitschko-Povetkin bout must take place by the end of August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh