LA Lakers` owner Jerry Buss dies at 80
Los Angeles: Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss, 80, has died of cancer.
"The NBA has lost a visionary owner whose influence on our league is incalculable and will be felt for decades to come. More importantly, we have lost a dear and valued friend," NBA commissioner David Stern said Monday.
Buss, who entered the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010, won 10 NBA titles as owner of the Lakers, more than any other team owner in league history. He purchased the Lakers, ice hockey`s Los Angeles Kings, their arena and a ranch from Jack Kent Cooke for USD 67.5 million in 1979.
The Lakers is now guided by Jerry`s son Jim Buss on basketball matters and daughter Jeanie Buss on the business side.
"We not only have lost our cherished father but a beloved man of our community and a person respected by the world basketball community," said a statement from the Buss family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!