LA Lakers` owner Jerry Buss dies at 80
Los Angeles: Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss, 80, has died of cancer.
"The NBA has lost a visionary owner whose influence on our league is incalculable and will be felt for decades to come. More importantly, we have lost a dear and valued friend," NBA commissioner David Stern said Monday.
Buss, who entered the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010, won 10 NBA titles as owner of the Lakers, more than any other team owner in league history. He purchased the Lakers, ice hockey`s Los Angeles Kings, their arena and a ranch from Jack Kent Cooke for USD 67.5 million in 1979.
The Lakers is now guided by Jerry`s son Jim Buss on basketball matters and daughter Jeanie Buss on the business side.
"We not only have lost our cherished father but a beloved man of our community and a person respected by the world basketball community," said a statement from the Buss family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam