Lance Armstrong claims US govt turning blind eye to fraud drug-taking allegations
London: Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong has accused the US Government of turning a blind eye to drug-taking allegations.
The former seven times Tour de France winner said the government wanted to take advantage of the publicity from being associated with him through sponsorship of the US Postal Service team.
In a move to have a federal lawsuit dismissed, Armstrong is attempting to ward off a whistleblower case brought by the US Government.
The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) had submitted a report into Armstrong`s years of doping, most of them while he was cycling for the US Postal Service team.
The case claims the use of doping methods detailed in a USADA report broke the terms of the contract between Armstrong`s management company and the sponsor.
Armstrong`s legal team said the US government `wanted a winner and all the publicity, exposure and acclaim that goes with being his sponsor`.
The case could be worth up to 120 million dollars, three times the US Postal Service`s sponsorship of 40 million dollars, if Armstrong is found liable under the False Claims Act.
A response from the US government is expected in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH