Lance Armstrong faces $3m lawsuit for fraud
New York: In a latest addition to the numerous legal challenges for Lance Armstrong, the disgraced cyclist has been slapped with a three million dollar-lawsuit claiming fraud, unjust enrichment and breach of contract by an insurance company.
Acceptance Insurance from Nebraska, United States which had filed the suit, is hoping to recover bonuses it paid to Armstrong for three of his Tour de France wins from 1999 to 2001 as well as damages and legal fees, New York Daily News reports.
According to the suit, Armstrong committed fraud by his cheating and deception for which the company is seeking repayment of three million dollars which was obtained by the cyclist through fraud.
Claiming that Armstrong and Tailwind Sports, the company that managed the cyclist`s racing team violated its contract with Acceptance by using banned substances, the suit said that Armstrong and his associates covered up the cyclist`s doping from 1999 until January in an attempt to prevent Acceptance from pursuing litigation in time.
Another company, SCA Promotions had filed a 12.1 million dollar-lawsuit last month for bonus money, legal fees and interest. The firm paid Armstrong`s bonuses when he won the Tour de France in 2002, 2003, 2004, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand