Le Clos claims 100m butterfly gold
Barcelona: Chad Le Clos of South Africa claimed the 100 metre butterfly gold at the World Swimming Championships here.
Le Clos got off to a poor start and was well out of the medal placings at the turn as Steffen Deibler stormed into the lead Saturday, reports Xinhua.
At close, Le Clos looked out of contention before producing three massive strokes in the last 20m which saw him surge into first place as he touched home ahead of Laszlo Cech and Konrad Czerniak.
American Ryan Lochte, who had been fastest in qualifying, could only finish sixth.
Le Clos was delighted that he had followed the 200m butterfly title he won earlier in the week with the 100m crown.
"I`m very happy, I wanted the double for a long time and now I have got it. I feel good now. I was a bit worried about my fitness as I came here but everything has come good in time," said the delighted South African.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- 45 union ministers to tour UP on Modi government's second anniversary
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi
- Left, Congress threaten to skip Mamata's swearing-in, BJP to observe black day
- FSSAI to remove potassium bromate from food additives list