Le Clos makes history in World 200m butterfly final
Barcelona: South African Chad Le Clos made history here when he became the first non-European or American swimmer to win a World Championship gold medal in the 200 metres butterfly.
The man, who beat Michael Phelps to gold in the same event in London in 2012, produced a powerful last lap Wednesday after it looked as if he was fading against the challenge of Pawel Korzeniowski, who holds the fastest time of the year.
Meanwhile, China`s Wu Peng also produced a strong last 50 metres taking the bronze medal and also making history.
Wu is only the second man to win four medals in this discipline and joins the great Phelps with this honour, although it should be pointed out Phelps won five gold medals.
Wu Peng`s long career saw him win bronze in the 2005 World Championships, silver in 2007 and bronze in Shanghai 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it