Lee and Chen to meet again in India Open final
New Delhi: World number one Lee Chong Wei today set up a summit clash with familiar foe China`s Chen Long for the third time in the season, after both registered contrasting wins in the men`s singles semifinals of the USD 250,000 Yonex Sunrise Metlife India Super Series here today.
Defending champion, Lee notched up a 21-17 19-21 21-14 win over China`s seventh seed Du Pengyu in an hour and 12 minutes match at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
Earlier, world number two Chen staved off determined fightback from fourth seed Jan O Jorgensen to prevail 21-15 21-23 21-19 in an edge-of-the-seat thriller that lasted for an hour and 19 minutes.
In an all-Chinese women`s singles semifinals, All England champion and second seed Shixian Wang beat third seed and world number two Yihan 15-21 21-7 22-20 to set up a clash with top seed and world number one Li Xuerui, who thrashed qualifier Xin Liu 21-12 21-13.
In other finals, third seeds Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen of Denmark will meet fourth seeds Sung Hyun Ko and Ha Na Kim of Korea in mixed doubles, while second seeds Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen of Denmark will face third seeded Chinese combo of Xiaolong Liu and Zihan Qiu.
The Chinese pair of Yuanting Tang and Yang (F) Yu will meet Korean combo of Kyung Eun Jung and Ha Na Kim in women`s doubles summit clash.
The men`s singles final will be an interesting battle of supremacy between Lee and Chen -- two players who are tied with eight victories each in their last 16 meetings.
After two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan, it is Chen Long who has proved to be a formidable rival for Lee, who lost to his younger opponent four times in the last five meetings.
It was at the All England championship last month where the duo had met and Lee had the last laugh, avenging his 2013 final loss to Chen for his third title in Birmingham. They also met at Korea Open finals this season.
In the first men`s semifinal, there was little to differentiate between Jorgensen and Chen but in the end it was the Chinese whose repertoire of strokes and steely focus helped him to resist the fightbacks by Jorgensen from 4-9 to 11-11 in the first-game and from 12-15 to 18-18 in the decider.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened