Lifter Chandrika first Indian to win medal in Youth Worlds
New Delhi: Chandrika Tarafdar on Wednesday became the first Indian to win a medal in Youth World Weightlifting Championships after she bagged two bronze in the girls` 44kg category on the opening day at Kosice, Slovakia.
Tarafdar won a bronze each in clean and jerk and total lift. She lifted 55kg in snatch, 74kg in clean and jerk for a total effort of 129kg.
This is the first time in the history of Youth World Weightlifting Championships that an Indian has won a medal.
Mao Xiangmei of China won a bronze in snatch and gold in the total lift -- on lesser bodyweight.
Romanian lifter Csengeri Monica Suneta lifted exactly the same -- 139kg -- in total but had to settle for silver as she had more bodyweight than the Chinese.
Suneta managed to grab the gold in snatch and another silver in clean and jerk.
India are being represented by eight lifters in the championships -- two boys and six girls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM