Like to thank all Indian fans for supporting me: Chong Wei
New Delhi: Elated after winning his second victory at the India Open Super Series, Lee Chong Wei today said it was a tough match against Kenichi Tago of Japan in the men`s singles final but he was happy to have received the support of his Indian fans.
Chong Wei, who won the title in 2011 but ended up as runner-up last year, said he was grateful for all the support he got from the Indian fans.
"It was a tough match today. I am happy to have won it. Last year I lost in the final," said the world number oner shuttler from Malaysia at the Siri Fort Sports Complex here.
"I would like to thank all the Indian fans for supporting me," he added.
After winning the first game comfortably 21-15, Chong Wei went down in the second 18-21 before bagging the third and deciding one 21-17.
Asked what went wrong in the second game, Chong Wei said, "I always lose the second game."
Dedicating his win to his baby boy, Chong Wei said that he would be flying out tonight to Malaysia to take part in the Malaysian Open, starting on Tuesday.
"I am flying out tonight. Malaysian Open is the home tournament and everybody is expecting me there," he said.
He said Tago played well today and has improved a lot since he last met him at the Hong Kong Open in 2012.
"Tago played very well today. He has improved a lot since Hong Kong," Chong Wei said.
When reminded that he has beaten Tago in all the 13 matches they had played against each other, Chong Wei said, "I hope to continue the winning streak."
Stating that he was "happy" with the standard of play at the India Open, the Malaysian said, "I am always happy to come to India and hope to see you next year as well."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof