Lin Dan sails into World Championships final
Guangzhou: Chinese badminton star Lin Dan cruised past Vietnam`s Nguyen Tien Minh in straight games to reach the men`s singles final of the World Championships in this Chinese city on Saturday.
The Olympic and world champion, who was on the sidelines for the past year to spend time with his family and entered the tournament on a wildcard, will probably have another classic showdown against Lee Chong Wei if the world No. 1 beats third seeded Du Pengyu of China in second semifinal later Saturday, reports Xinhua.
"Super Dan" and his 30-year-old rival traded point for point at the start of the opening set, but the set started to go Lin`s way after he sped up in attacking and eventually took it 21-17.
A more relaxed Lin went on to dominate the second set, taking it 21-15 as the Vietnamese lost his confidence and made more errors.
"This time was Nguyen`s closest chance towards worlds` finals. He has a strong mind and plays well, so I made full preparation before the match," said Lin.
Talking about the possible clash against his Malaysian arch-rival Lee, Lin said, "Lee did not have rest after last year`s Olympics and his form has been good. I will do my best tomorrow."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened