Liu Xiang wins 110 hurdles at Asian championships
Kobe, Japan: Former Olympic champion Liu Xiang of China built on his preparations for the world championships by winning the men`s 110-meter hurdles at the Asian athletics championships on Sunday.
Liu ran 13.22 seconds in sweltering heat to break his own championship record by .08 and finish comfortably ahead of compatriot Shi Dongpeng, who clocked 13.56. Park Tae-kyong of South Korea was third in 13.66.
"It`s not a bad result," said Liu, who won his fourth Asian title. "It was very hot today so I wasn`t able to prepare as I normally do, so considering that it`s a good result. I am pleased to set a new championship record."
Liu, the 2004 Athens gold medalist, was still well behind his personal best of 12.88.
Liu has looked strong this year. He was second to American rival David Oliver at the Prefontaine Classic last month after running 13.00 — his best time since winning at the 2007 worlds in Osaka.
In other events, Chisato Fukushima of Japan won the women`s 200 in 23.49 to finish comfortably ahead of Lebanon`s Gretta Taslakian, who timed 24.01. Saori Imai of Japan was third in 24.06.
Fukushima won the 100 and 200 at the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, in November but competed only in the longer race at this meet.
She is scheduled to compete in the 100 and 200 at the Aug.27-Sept.4 worlds in Daegu, South Korea.
Nigerian-born Femi Ogunode of Qatar won the men`s 200 in a championship-record time of 20.41. Hitoshi Sato of Japan was second in 20.75 followed by Omar Alsalfa of the United Arab Emirates, who clocked 20.97.
China added to its gold medal haul in the women`s high jump and shot put.
Zheng Xingjuan won the high jump with a leap of 1.92 meters, while Meng Qianqian was victorious in the shot put with a throw of 18.31 meters.
Thanh Hang Truong of Vietnam won the women`s 800 with a time of 2:01.41.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack