Livestrong drops Armstrong`s name from title
Washington: The cancer charity known as the Lance Armstrong Foundation has formally changed its title to the Livestrong Foundation to further separate itself from its drug scandal-hit founder.
The American cyclist, who overcame testicular cancer and won seven Tour de France titles in his career, was recently stripped of titles and banned from the sport for life after the US Anti-doping Agency (USADA) disclosed evidence he used performance-enhancing drugs, reports Xinhua.
The 41-year-old resigned from the board of directors for Livestrong Nov 4 after he resigned Oct 17 as chairman from the charity to spare the organisation any negative effects resulting from the controversy surrounding his cycling career.
According to Katherine McLane, a spokeswoman for the foundation, the change of title was approved by the Texas Secretary of State Oct 30 although Armstrong is still its largest donor with nearly $7 million over the years.
The Livestrong Foundation, based in Austin, Texas, is a United States non-profit organisation raising money for cancer survivor programs. It was founded in 1997 by cancer survivor Armstrong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!