London, Doha go head-to-head for 2017 worlds
Monaco: London or Doha will be named 2017 world athletics championships hosts by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) on Friday.
The 26 IAAF Council members who will vote must decide between London`s campaign as the "athletes choice" and the promise of sell-out crowds in the Olympic Stadium, or take the track and field global showpiece to an untapped and undeveloped athletics market.
Neither city has hosted the biennial championships since they began in 1983. A decision is expected around 1600.
London`s bid team have expressed quiet confidence that, after previous failed attempts to stage the championships and confusion over the future of the Olympic stadium, the time is right to fulfil legacy promises made after securing the 2012 Olympic Games.
Doha`s bid is part of oil-rich Qatar`s campaign to promote itself as a hub for international sport. The desert nation will host the 2022 soccer World Cup and is also bidding for the 2020 Olympic Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming