London Marathon to observe 30-second tribute for Boston victims
London: A 30-second silence will be observed before the start of the London Marathon Sunday and runners will be encouraged to wear a black ribbon to show support for the Boston blast victims.
The silent tribute will be held at the start of the elite men`s race and mass start.
Race director Hugh Brasher said that ribbons will be given to all runners when they pick up their race numbers.
"We want to show our support for our friends and colleagues in Boston at this difficult time for the global running community," he said.
"We are determined to deliver an amazing event that will focus on one of the core pillars of the London Marathon, which is to have fun and provide some happiness and a sense of achievement in a troubled world."
London police also promised that Sunday`s race will be safe. Met Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe told the BBC: "We are reviewing our plans which is sensible ... We will increase searching, we will make sure we`ve got more officers on the street looking after people, making sure they`re safe."
He added: "We`ve no reason to think they`re any less safe than they were before the terrible events in Boston yesterday."
The London Marathon takes place with about 36,000 people participating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok