London Olympic beach volleyball champion Reckermann to retire
Berlin: Germany`s Olympic champion Jonas Reckermann has said he will retire from beach volleyball due to back problems.
Reckermann announced his retirement on the website of the German Volleyball Federation Thursday.
"The decision is very difficult for me for various reasons, but you can`t buy health and that`s the most important thing at the end of the day," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The 33-year-old, who won the Olympic gold medal with Julius Brink at the 2012 London Games, underwent a successful shoulder operation in October, but scans in December showed a cyst in his spinal canal which was pressing on a nerve in the lower back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand