London Olympic beach volleyball champion Reckermann to retire
Berlin: Germany`s Olympic champion Jonas Reckermann has said he will retire from beach volleyball due to back problems.
Reckermann announced his retirement on the website of the German Volleyball Federation Thursday.
"The decision is very difficult for me for various reasons, but you can`t buy health and that`s the most important thing at the end of the day," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The 33-year-old, who won the Olympic gold medal with Julius Brink at the 2012 London Games, underwent a successful shoulder operation in October, but scans in December showed a cyst in his spinal canal which was pressing on a nerve in the lower back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan