London puts rings on the river to mark 150 days to go
London: Mayor Boris Johnson promised Londoners a "summer like no other" after sending a giant set of Olympic rings down the River Thames Tuesday and announcing a program of free cultural events throughout the Games.
With 150 days to go before the July 27 Olympic opening ceremony, Johnson watched from the riverside as a tug pulled a barge with the five coloured rings through the open Tower Bridge while schoolchildren waved flags and a steel band played.
The Rings on the River, standing 11 metres high and 25 metres wide, were due to travel down to the Thames barrier, past Canary Wharf and Greenwich, before returning to the 19th century bridge next to the Tower of London.
They then go into storage to re-emerge during Games` time as part of the `Look and Feel` of London 2012.
"In Games time you are not only going to be able to watch them, but when they dock at various points you are going to be able to mount bicycles and churn your legs and by some miraculous procedure several jets of water will come up around those fantastic rings," beamed Johnson, as renowned for his love of cycling as for his boyish exuberance.
"The serious point is that, I suppose, with 150 days to go, it shows that London`s preparations are very far advanced and that these Olympics are on time and on budget."
Olympics Minister Hugh Robertson said earlier that the country was likely to have money left over from the 9.3 billion pounds in public funds earmarked for the Games.
"We`re on time, we`re on budget and in fact we`ve got about half a billion pounds left in the budget," said Johnson.
"But it`s absolutely vital that we work very hard now to deliver all the programs.
"Today we are also announcing a lot of our cultural events. There are going to be Shakespeare performances popping up across London, opera taking place in London`s canals, all sorts of events and they are going to be free to everybody."
The events will include London`s biggest ever outdoor arts festival and free events to be held in every borough of the capital from July 21 to Sept 9.
There will be a floating opera inspired by Edward Lear`s `The Owl and the Pussy Cat` and, staged on the canals, a series of free events called "Secrets: Hidden London" to encourage visitors and residents to see the city in a different light.
"Wherever you are you will feel a part of the 2012 celebrations and experience a summer like no other in one of the most exciting cities on Earth," said Johnson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks