Luis Suarez was `very depressed after biting incident
Barcelona: Controversial striker Luis Suarez said he was "very depressed" after the World Cup biting incident that led to the Uruguay international being initially banned from all soccer activities for four months.
Suarez can now train with new club Barcelona and play friendlies, following an appeal hearing last week, before making his competitive return at the end of October.
"I prefer not to look backwards," the former Liverpool forward said as he was presented to the media at the Nou Camp on Tuesday.
"I didn`t want to do anything and I was very depressed," added Suarez referring to his state of mind following the biting incident involving Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in Brazil.
"I decided that all I could do was accept reality and say sorry. I have apologised to people in Uruguay for whathappened and I am now looking ahead."
The Uruguayan featured for the first time for Barca when he came on for the last 15 minutes of Monday`s 6-0 friendly victory over Mexican side Leon.
Suarez is set to play his first La Liga game in the `Clasico` against Real Madrid the weekend of Oct. 25-26.
During Tuesday`s presentation, vice-president Jordi Mestre disclosed that the transfer fee Barca had agreed with Liverpool was 65 million pounds ($108.11 million).
"I hope the time goes quickly as I want to play again," said Suarez. "It is going to be difficult as I will have to wait some months but I have accepted this.
"My job is to train and be ready to return by the end of October. All I can do is prepare and be ready for the game against Real.
"It would be great to play but it is down to the coach," added Suarez.
"I have really found a great atmosphere in the dressing room...everyone has been very friendly and obviously the timepasses quicker if you are with team mates and new people."
Brazil forward Neymar and former World Player of the Year Lionel Messi were involved in Monday`s match.
"Neymar and Messi were fantastic to watch," said Suarez. "Everyone knows what I can offer and I will work hard to bring trophies back to Barca which is the reason I am here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert