Lusofonia Games: Portugal beat SA in women`s table tennis
Panaji: The sporting action at the Lusofonia Games in Goa began Sunday with Portugal blanking South Africa 3-0 in the women`s table tennis competition at the Paddem ground, here.
Portugal`s Motha Joana defeated Tavares Ruth of Angola 3-0 in the first match to begin the campaign on a wining note. Joana`s teammate Andrade Raquel overcame some jittery moments before prevailing over Somalinha Maria 3-2 in the second game to put her country ahead 2-0.
Portugal`s Sampos Marta dished out an emphatic performance in the next game to beat Albino Isabel 4-1 and win the tie 3-0.
The Lusofonia Games, which was declared open yesterday, has 12 Portuguese speaking countries participating in it. The events would be held across six stadiums in Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat
- Reality TV personality Khloe Kardashian slams Donald Trump