Magnus Carlsen dethrones Vishy Anand to win maiden World Chess Championship title
Zee Media Bureau/Manushree Chaumal
Chennai: Defending champion Viswanathan Anand lost his World Championship title to world No.1 Magnus Carlsen after the game 10 of the World Chess Championship ended in a draw after 65 moves.
Prior to game 10, Carlsen was leading the championship 6-4 and needed just 0.5 points to take away the title.
It is Carlsen’s maiden World Chess Champion title in his first attempt itself.
“It feels good. I have been treated very well in India. I felt very comfortable playing here,” he said at the post match conference.
On playing alongside Anand, he said, “I was honoured to play with him. He is amongst the legends of the game.”
Meanwhile, Anand couldn’t hide his disappointment after the loss. “At some point, I started making mistakes after which I could not come back. It was clear, he dominated today’s game. At the start of the match, I thought my chances depended on my ability to make the games last long. Mistakes have been peeping into my play this year. In this championship, Game 5 came as a heavy blow to me. It was there and then it started going wrong for me. But now I feel, it is fair enough to congratulate him. Full credit goes to him.”
When a question was raised about how worthy was Carlsen as his successor, he quipped, “I did not choose him.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in