Maharaj Krishan Kaushik appointed men's hockey coach
New Delhi: Hockey India (HI) Wednesday appointed Olympic gold medallist Maharaj Kishan Kaushik as the men's hockey team coach replacing the sacked Michael Nobbs.
"I am happy with my appointment with the senior men's team. I have experience of working with different people from the coaching fraternity and will give my best," said Kaushik, who was a member of the 1980 Olympic gold medal-winning team.
Kaushik, who was working with the women's team from 1991, had to step aside in 2010 after a female player levelled allegations of sexual harassment against him. The player's letter to the HI was signed by her 31 team mates but nothing was proved against Kaushik.
Kaushik will join the training camp of the senior men's team starting from July 16 at the SAI Centre in Bangalore for the preparations for the 9th Asia Cup to be held in Malaysia next month from Aug 24 to Sep 1 later this year.
Elena Norman, CEO of HI, and secretary general Narinder Batra welcomed Kaushik's appointment.
"Kaushik had the desired credentials to work with the senior men team. I am hopeful that with his contribution the team will make improvement in the coming days and wish the team good luck to win the 9th Asia Cup and book their berth for the FIH World Cup 2014," he said.
Under his coaching, India men's team had won their last major international tournament, the 1998 Asian Games, Bangkok. In 1998, he received the Arjuna Award. Also, the Indian women's team had won bronze medal at the Doha Asian Games in 2006 under his coaching.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test