Mahindra to have a team in new Formula E series
New Delhi: After floating a team in the MotoGP series, Mahindra Racing will now have an Indian team racing in the inaugural FIA Formula E series, which will feature electric cars. The motor sports division of the Mumbai-based USD 16.2 billion multinational Mahindra Group has signed an agreement with series promoters Formula E Holdings to become the eighth and only Indian team to join the new zero emission series.
The championship will begin in September 2014, with 10 races in its first season in city-centre locations around the world, including London, Beijing and Los Angeles. Mahindra already sells electric car `Reva`.
"We strongly believe that Formula E can provide an excellent global showcase for our electric vehicle technology," Anand Mahindra, Chairman and Managing Director of Mahindra Group, said in a statement.
"With advanced operations and expertise in electronics, IT, automotive technologies and manufacturing, we are already seeing the fusion of this technology into our electric vehicle operations. Racing will further accelerate that trend while Formula E is set to raise awareness globally about the benefits of electric vehicles," he added.
India have a team in Formula One series, Sahara Force India, co-owned by Vijaya Mallya and Sahara Group but with no Indian driver. Alejandro Agag, CEO, of series promoters Formula E Holdings, said,"We are very proud to have a major global company like Mahindra join the FIA Formula E Championship. Adding a manufacturer from India to what is already a real global mix of teams is fantastic news for the series.
Everything is coming together very well and we look forward to presenting all ten teams to the FIA World Motor Sport Council next month."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Cow creates chaos near Parliament area!
- Sinners offering money to temples for solace: Chandrababu Naidu
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- IPL 2016: David Warner praises SRH bowlers, fielders for win over KKR in IPL Eliminator
- Not just LGBT, Sonam Kapoor is strong supporter of basic human rights
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS
- Randeep Hooda’s dream girl is beautiful – See pic
- Chemical factory blast sends shock waves in Dombivali near Mumbai; 3 dead, over 100 injured