Major decisions set for IOC Session in Buenos Aires
Geneva: September promises to be an important month in the history of the Olympic Movement, with three key decisions scheduled to be made during the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina, over the next few days.
The full IOC membership is set to elect the host city for the 2020 Olympic Games Sep 7, decide on the composition of the 2020 Olympic programme the following day, and elect the next IOC President, Sep 10.
The action gets under way with a meeting of the IOC Executive Board, Sep 4 and 5.
President Jacques Rogge, who will retire after 12 years in office following the Session, will give a press conference after his last board meeting, scheduled for Sep 5.
The Session (full IOC membership) opens on the evening of 6 September with an official ceremony at Buenos Aires` famous opera house, the Teatro Colon.
The three candidate cities bidding to host the 2020 Olympic Games - Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid - will deliver their final presentations to the session, Sep 7, before the vote. The host city will be announced during a ceremony from 5 to 5.30 p.m.
The composition of the 2020 Olympic program will be discussed on the morning of Sep 8, with decisions on the core sports expected at around 10.15 a.m. and the possible inclusion of an additional sport at noon.
Baseball/softball, squash and wrestling have been shortlisted and proposed by the IOC Executive Board for possible inclusion as an additional sport on the 2020 Olympic program. They will deliver short presentations to the session ahead of the vote.
On the afternoon of Sep 8, the session will hear reports about the preparations for future editions of the Olympic Games and Youth Olympic Games. The organising committees and respective IOC Coordination Commission Chairs for Sochi 2014, Rio 2016, PyeongChang 2018 and for the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing 2014 and in Lillehammer 2016 will update the IOC members about the ongoing work and progress made in the host cities.
Sep 9, the IOC Session will receive reports from IOC commissions, the IOC administration, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
On the final day of its meeting in Buenos Aires, Sep 10, the IOC members will elect their new President, the ninth in the history of the Olympic Movement, as well as vote on one new vice-president, one new member of the IOC Executive Board, and nine proposed new members and honorary members.
The six presidential candidates vying to succeed Jacques Rogge are Thomas Bach, Sergey Bubka, Richard Carrion, Ng Ser Miang, Denis Oswald, and Wu Ching-Kuo. The announcement of the new IOC President is scheduled for 12.30 p.m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead