Maken distributes cash awards to 158 sportspersons
New Delhi: Sports Minister Ajay Maken on Thursday distributed cash awards amounting to Rs 2.12 crore to 158 sportspersons who have won medals in international events from the beginning of 2010 until now.
The disciplines included archery, athletics, badminton, boxing, chess, judo, rowing swimming, tenpin, bowling weightlifting and winter sports.
"Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Youth Affairs & Sports distributed the Cash awards of Rs 2,11,86,665/- (Rupees two crore eleven lakh eighty six thousand six hundred sixty five only) to 158 sportspersons at a function here today," read a sports ministry statement.
Maken congratulated the sportspersons for their extraordinary achievements.
The cash awards are given by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports under its `Scheme of Special Awards for winners of medals in international events and their coaches` with the objective of incentivising the sportspersons who win medals in international events such as Olympic Games, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, World Championships (in the disciplines of Olympic Games, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games), Asian Championships, Commonwealth Championships (both for men and women) in senior, junior and sub-junior categories.
During the last two financial years i.E. 2010-11 and 2011-12, cash awards worth Rs 45.76 crore have been given to 1206 sportspersons and coaches under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145