Maken hopes to introduce Bill in winter session of Parliament
New Delhi: The inter-ministerial consultations on the revised Sports Development Bill has started, according to Sports Minister Ajay Maken who expressed hope of introducing the Bill in the upcoming winter session of Parliament.
The Sports Bill, aimed at ushering transperency and accountability in the functioning of National Sports Federations (NSF) by bringing them under the purview of the RTI Act, was earlier rejected by the Cabinet, which asked the Sports Minister to rework on it.
But armed with a redrafted Bill, Maken said he will leave no stone unturned to make the sports legislation a reality.
"As far as the National Sports Bill is concerned, we have redrafted it. The inter-ministerial consultation has already started and we will soon take it up with the Cabinet," Maken said on the sidelines of a conference of sports ministers of various states.
"We are hoping to place this bill before the Parliament in the upcoming winter session," he added.
Taking a dig at the BCCI, which is against the Bill even in the revised form, the Sports Minister said any federation which was using the name of the country is a public body and has to come under the RTI act.
"Whether BCCI or any other body, they should come under RTI. They should have 25 per cent reservations for sportspersons and age and tenure limitations because these things will bring in transparency in their functioning," Maken said.
"Any institution which is seeking profit from the government should come under the RTI. If you are selecting a team known as India that means you are doing a public function," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials