Malaysia head threatens to pull team from Asian Games
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Hockey president Sultan Ahmad Shah has threatened to pull the men`s national team from next month`s Asian Games because of a lack of discipline as the fallout from a poor Commonwealth Games performance continues.
The Malaysians, runners up at the last Asian Games, were humbled by lowly Trinidad and Tobago at last month`s Commonwealth Games in Scotland as they exited in the group stage.
That followed a last place finish at the 12-team World Cup in June with head coach K. Dharmaraj being replaced by A. Arulselvaraj on Monday following a council meeting into the showings.
Ahmad Shah said a report into the two tournament failings had also highlighted issues with player discipline and warned the squad he would not put up with any repeats.
"I am willing to pull the team out for the Games if there are no improvements," he was quoted as saying by Malaysian media.
"If the players are not able to give 100 percent to the team they should say so and leave. There is no point in sending a team to the Asiad if the players are not disciplined enough to work and give their best."
Arulselvaraj said he would tackle the issues raised but warned there was not much time before the Asian Games, which will be held in Incheon, South Korea from Sept. 19-Oct. 4.
"One of the things that I will do is to look at the players in the squad. Then, I will work on the areas that have been identified as our weaknesses," he said.
"I am familiar with the players as I have worked with them before. But with a short period of time left, it will be an uphill task for all of us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends