Malaysia pip Australia to win Sultan of Johor Cup
Johor Bahru (Malaysia): Skipper Noor Faeez struck the golden goal as hosts Malaysia scored a thrilling 3-2 win over Australia to lift the inaugural Sultan of Johor Cup, on Saturday.
Faeez converted a penalty corner five minutes into the extra time to frustrate the fighting Australians in the exciting final, in which full-throat and thrilling brand of hockey was on display.
Australia took lead twice but could not hold on to finish the issue in the regulation time.
Enterprising Dylan Wotherpsoon deflected a rebound to give Australia its first goal in the 11th minute.
Saari Mohd Fitri fashioned Malaysian recovery with a gem of goal eight minutes into the second half.
Aggressive and accurate, Australian pressed hard, and it was only time to take lead. It came through Jack Wallace eleven minutes before the hooter.
Even as the Australians were cruising along victory path, Malaysia got a freak penalty corner in the 69th minute. Captain sent in the third rebound of to take the match in to sudden-death extra time. He played the stellar role in the extra time too, to post the golden goal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends