Malaysia to host 2013 Asia Cup hockey
Ipoh (Malaysia): The Asian Hockey Federation`s council on Saturday allotted Malaysia the 2013 Asia Cup hockey, the tournament that will offer qualification berth for the 2014 World Cup.
This will be the second successive time that Malaysia will host the continental championship to be organised by the Malaysian Hockey Confederation.
Ipoh has been chosen as the venue, having already emerged as the most favoured hockey destination in Asia.
Sultan Azlan Shah, president of the Asian Hockey Federation, chaired the meeting of the AHF Council that took the decision today.
Ipoh`s hockey stadium has laid a new blue turf for the current Azlan Shah Cup.
Malaysia hosted the last Asia Cup at Kuantan in 2009.
Singapore was earlier tipped to host the Asia Cup as the AHF was keen to take the event to new venues but the Singapore team`s low ranking went against it.
The schedule is yet to be confirmed and the AHF will do so after taking the international calendar and the annual Sultan Azlan Shah Cup into consideration.
A decision was also taken to name the AHF-MHC Academy, situated inside the Ipoh stadium complex, as the Raja Dato` Seri Ashaman Academy, in honour of the second son of Sultan Azlan Shah who passed away in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured