Manjeet enters China Open final
New Delhi: Manjeet Singh assured at least a silver medal for India by entering the final of the men`s super heavyweight category (+91kg) at the third China Open boxing tournament in Guiyang.
The 21-year-old Indian pugilist defeated local favourite Wang Zhi Bao on split decision to enter the final in his very first international tournament.
Manjeet will be up against another local lad Akepeer Yusuf in the summit clash.
However, there was disappointment in store for other three Indian boxers - Sunil Kumar (52kg), Ajay Kumar (56kg), and Jaideep (75kg) - as they lost their respective semifinal bouts to crash out of the tournament layed under the new `Ten-Point must scoring system`.
The trio will now return home with a bronze medal each from the event.
While silver medallist in the inaugural edition of this tournament, Sunil Kumar lost to Chang Young of China in the semifinals of the men`s flyweight category, 19-year-old Ajay Kumar was shown the door by another Chinese You Lunhai in the last four round of the bantamweight division.
The other Indian in the fray, Jaideep lost his middleweight semifinal bout to another Chinese boxer, Chao Gejiletu.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India