Manpreet enters quarters of Asian Olympic Qualifiers
New Delhi: Asian Games silver-medallist Manpreet Singh took less than three minutes to win his opening bout and enter the quarterfinals of the Asian Olympic Boxing Qualifiers in Astana, Kazakhstan on Thursday.
Manpreet defeated Mongolia`s Toulyek Yerbolat in a lop-sided contest to inch closer to the finals, where he will have to win a gold to make the cut for the London Games.
Such was ferocity of the 25-year-old Army man`s right upper-cuts and straight punches that referee stopped the contest midway through the first round itself after Yerbolat ended up getting three mandatory counts. Manpreet will now face Chingis Borbashev of Kyrgyzstan in the last-eight stage.
"It was completely one-sided. Manpreet came good with his powerful uppercuts and straight rights. He fought extremely well," national coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu said.
In the evening session, Olympic and World Championships bronze-medallist Vijender Singh will open his campaign against Ishak Waez of Syria. Vijender will have to make the semifinals to make the Olympic cut.
Yesterday, Suranjoy Singh (52kg) and Sumit Sangwan (81kg) had won their opening bouts. Suranjoy will tomorrow face off against Mongolia`s Tugstsogt Nyambayar, who was his nemesis in both the 2009 and 2011 World Championships. Sumit will square off against Kim Hyeongkyu of Korea in his next bout on Sunday.
Also tomorrow, 18-year-old promising talent Shiva Thapa will kick off his campaign with a relatively easy opener against Afghan Mohammad Khaiber Nooristani after getting a first-round bye.
Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Paramjeet Samota has got a first-round bye and will take the ring against Soumar Ghossoun of Syria in the semifinal on April 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead