Maradona appeals to clear name in Italian tax case
Naples: Argentine legend Diego Maradona is making a verbal appeal to Italian authorities to clear his name in a tax evasion case.
Speaking at a news conference, the Argentine great says, "I didn`t kill anyone. I`m here to seek justice."
Maradona`s Italian debts of nearly more than USD 50 million stem from alleged unpaid taxes during the time he played for Napoli from 1984-91, a period in which he helped the club win its only two Serie A titles.
Maradona says Napoli club officials were responsible for his playing contract with the club. "Why do I have to pay and not them? ... I`m a victim because I earned a lot but I didn`t know anything about contractual questions. I`m showing my face because I didn`t kill anyone."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vedanta sweetens Cairn merger deal, offers 3 additional preference shares
- Nanolayered composites can open new avenues in materials science: Researchers
- WORLD RECORD: Can Ravichandran Ashwin become the fastest bowler to claim 200 test wickets?
- ‘Abnormal’ foetus abortion case: SC asks for medical exam of alleged rape survivor
- Know what causes balding in men!