Maradona appeals to clear name in Italian tax case
Naples: Argentine legend Diego Maradona is making a verbal appeal to Italian authorities to clear his name in a tax evasion case.
Speaking at a news conference, the Argentine great says, "I didn`t kill anyone. I`m here to seek justice."
Maradona`s Italian debts of nearly more than USD 50 million stem from alleged unpaid taxes during the time he played for Napoli from 1984-91, a period in which he helped the club win its only two Serie A titles.
Maradona says Napoli club officials were responsible for his playing contract with the club. "Why do I have to pay and not them? ... I`m a victim because I earned a lot but I didn`t know anything about contractual questions. I`m showing my face because I didn`t kill anyone."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse