Mark Cavendish wins 5th stage, Simon Gerrans retains lead
Marseille: Britain`s Mark Cavendish won a crash-marred fifth stage of the Tour de France in Marseille on Wednesday, as Australian Simon Gerrans retained the race leader`s yellow jersey.
Cavendish, of the Omega-Pharma team, finished in 5hr 31min 51sec, over a bike length ahead of Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) and Slovakian Peter Sagan (Cannondale) in a reduced bunch sprint after they had avoided a crash inside the final kilometre.
It was the Isle of Man rider`s 24th stage win on the race.
On what was the second-longest stage (228.5km) of the 100th edition, the peloton gave the green light to an early six-man breakaway which formed in the opening kilometres of the stage from Cagnes-sur-Mer, after Belgian Thomas de Gendt had gone on the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video