Mark Cavendish wins 5th stage, Simon Gerrans retains lead
Marseille: Britain`s Mark Cavendish won a crash-marred fifth stage of the Tour de France in Marseille on Wednesday, as Australian Simon Gerrans retained the race leader`s yellow jersey.
Cavendish, of the Omega-Pharma team, finished in 5hr 31min 51sec, over a bike length ahead of Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) and Slovakian Peter Sagan (Cannondale) in a reduced bunch sprint after they had avoided a crash inside the final kilometre.
It was the Isle of Man rider`s 24th stage win on the race.
On what was the second-longest stage (228.5km) of the 100th edition, the peloton gave the green light to an early six-man breakaway which formed in the opening kilometres of the stage from Cagnes-sur-Mer, after Belgian Thomas de Gendt had gone on the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks
- 33 killed in renewed clashes across Yemen
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'