Mark Cavendish wins 5th stage, Simon Gerrans retains lead
Marseille: Britain`s Mark Cavendish won a crash-marred fifth stage of the Tour de France in Marseille on Wednesday, as Australian Simon Gerrans retained the race leader`s yellow jersey.
Cavendish, of the Omega-Pharma team, finished in 5hr 31min 51sec, over a bike length ahead of Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) and Slovakian Peter Sagan (Cannondale) in a reduced bunch sprint after they had avoided a crash inside the final kilometre.
It was the Isle of Man rider`s 24th stage win on the race.
On what was the second-longest stage (228.5km) of the 100th edition, the peloton gave the green light to an early six-man breakaway which formed in the opening kilometres of the stage from Cagnes-sur-Mer, after Belgian Thomas de Gendt had gone on the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him