Mark Cavendish wins 5th stage, Simon Gerrans retains lead
Marseille: Britain`s Mark Cavendish won a crash-marred fifth stage of the Tour de France in Marseille on Wednesday, as Australian Simon Gerrans retained the race leader`s yellow jersey.
Cavendish, of the Omega-Pharma team, finished in 5hr 31min 51sec, over a bike length ahead of Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) and Slovakian Peter Sagan (Cannondale) in a reduced bunch sprint after they had avoided a crash inside the final kilometre.
It was the Isle of Man rider`s 24th stage win on the race.
On what was the second-longest stage (228.5km) of the 100th edition, the peloton gave the green light to an early six-man breakaway which formed in the opening kilometres of the stage from Cagnes-sur-Mer, after Belgian Thomas de Gendt had gone on the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: Fake Punjabi music company used to lure MoD officials?
- Rare IS bombings in southern Iraq kill 33: Officials
- Over six lakh students appear for NEET-I
- Solar-powered boats launched at Varanasi for plying on river Ganga: PM Modi's top 10 quotes
- Protests for separate Vidharba state turn violent