Mark Cavendish wins 5th stage, Simon Gerrans retains lead
Marseille: Britain`s Mark Cavendish won a crash-marred fifth stage of the Tour de France in Marseille on Wednesday, as Australian Simon Gerrans retained the race leader`s yellow jersey.
Cavendish, of the Omega-Pharma team, finished in 5hr 31min 51sec, over a bike length ahead of Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) and Slovakian Peter Sagan (Cannondale) in a reduced bunch sprint after they had avoided a crash inside the final kilometre.
It was the Isle of Man rider`s 24th stage win on the race.
On what was the second-longest stage (228.5km) of the 100th edition, the peloton gave the green light to an early six-man breakaway which formed in the opening kilometres of the stage from Cagnes-sur-Mer, after Belgian Thomas de Gendt had gone on the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened