Mark Selby wins his third Masters champion
London: World No.1 Mark Selby won the Masters snooker tournament for the third time after beating defending champion Neil Robertson 10-6 in the final.
Selby, who won the event in 2008 and 2010, jumped to an 8-3 lead in the first half Sunday and fought off a late surge from Robertson to seal the victory.
The 29-year-old won the UK Championship last month when he beat Shaun Murphy 10-6 in the final. He also became the first player to win two of snooker`s three prestigious events back-to-back since Mark Williams in 2002-2003.
He is expected to win a third at the World Championship to be held in Sheffield in April like Williams, who also won the world crown that season.
The title earned Selby a top prize of 175,000 pounds while Robertson`s second prize was worth 85,000 pounds.
"I was really happy with the way I played. I knew I had to play better and be more attacking. I seemed to do that in the first session. I was tired towards the end. This afternoon I felt fresh but tonight I felt it catching up with me. Thankfully I gave myself a good enough lead to have to something to mess about with," said Selby.
"It`s just unbelievable at the moment. A few months ago I had the neck injury and I didn`t know if I was going to be playing again. Now I`m sitting here having won the UK and the Masters. I`ve got a great team around me at the moment and they`ve pulled me through."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM